Friday 29 November 2013

Dye room day

Dying my top fabric for the top coat today,  excited and nervous about it.

formula for dying with Dyrect dye (assuming we are dying 100grams of fabric)

Density       Dye                     gm of salt
Pale             0.1-0.2gms         5gm
Med            0.2-0.5gms         10gm
Heavy         1.0-2.0                20gm

My fabric weighs ~250gms so a total of 5tsps of dye is to be used
I'll prepare 2.5 tsp of bottle green and 2.5 of royal blue, but will only use about 1.5 of each at first then add more if I need to darken it.

So now I'll,
-heat the water
-wet the fabric
-mix the dye
-add ~3/4 of my dye to the dye vat and sample. If sample is to light I'll add more of my dye mix, if it is to dark then I'll drain some of the water and then add more water to thin it out.

First Attempt: Mixed 2.5 tsp of each and then added 3/4 of all dye, seemed to be to dark so I emptied out 1/2 the water in the dye vat and refilled it to dilute the dye

Second attempt: Went great! I matched it spot on and then whilst moving my fabric I bumped something and spilled the remainder of the green dye in my vat! BAH!!!!!!

Third attempt: Finally got it, third time the charm :P







No comments:

Post a Comment