Wednesday 30 April 2014

Summer Queen, my final costume for Uni

The next costume I am creating is a drawing by Amy Brown, a favourite artist of my childhood. I know it doesn't look like much yet, but it should be really great when I'm done. I'm doing two skirts, which will both have two layers of fabric, and be hand dyed. One layer will be poly cotton and the other silk chiffon, to give it a very light and airy feeling. The bodice will be made out of artists canvas and then hand painted, this is due to the great texture of artists canvas, it's going to made to be reminiscent of a tree trunk. The almost peacock looking circles on the bodice and arms will be beaded, and the flowers and leaves will all be hand made. I'm really excited about the wings as well, I've never made wings before so it should be a great experience that I can learn a lot from.

 Here are the toiles of the skirts, I will most likely be using these for the actual costume as well and just dyeing them.

here is a sample leaf I've made. I'll be making the leaves out of silk organza and then using a fabric stiffener so I can bend them into any shape I want. Then I'll be sponge painting it to the appropriate colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment