Wednesday 9 April 2014

Remaking the skirt

As previously mentioned we discovered at the fitting that the skirt looked far to heavy with the silk mounted on calico. So I have not taken the entire thing apart, recut it out of silk organza and a light cotton. Then mounted the silk to the silk organza and re-sewn it together, as well as sewing the cotton together separately from the silk. I will then attach the two skirts together at the waist band, making sure that the seams are both on the insides of the skirts. Because I'm a bit crazy I also added a lace edge around the bottom of my inner skirt, just incase the outer one where to flip up something a bit more pretty will be seen.

Now as you can see in the photo the seams need to be pressed like nobodies business, but since the silks are so delicate and prone to easy wrinkling pressing them is a task to say the least. 

First I lay it on the ironing board wrong side up and gently steam my seam allowance so that it wants to open slightly. I have to make sure not to actually set the iron on the seam allowance (SA)at this point.

 Then I turn fabric right side up and use the vacuum on the ironing board to suck the fabric down, I then must double check that the SA has opened up correctly then I must smooth out the fabric with my hand making sure that it is as near to perfect as possible.



Then I lay a teflon sheet of my SA and NOW I may lay the iron on it. Being sure to set the iron down then lift it completely off and then reset it down. ironing along the fabric will create wrinkles.

This entire process takes freakin' forever, but is totally worth it as my seams are 20 times better than before. The whole look of the skirt has definitely changed and my hard work has not been wasted or in vain what so ever :) THANK GOODNESS!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment