Wednesday 9 April 2014

Guard for wrong side of the skirt

To protect the underside of my skirt I’ve made a nice bit of knife pleating to attach to it, this is again a very period accurate thing. They would make these “guards” out of cheaper more durable materials like cotton so that when they were dragged along the ground they could take the brunt of the damage and save the expensive fabric of the skirt, if they ever got to filthy and worn down they could then be easily replaced. Having a guard on also helps to way down the skirt a little bit and keep it laying flat. As I am a bit narcotic I have tea dyed my cotton so that it is not such a harsh white, I specifically chose to tea dye it opposed to using chemicals because I wanted it to be done naturally and have a very natural appearance. I then hemmed on edge and then hand dagged the other edge. The totally length of fabric ended up needing to be about 540 inches. I then hand knife pleated up the entirety of it then sewed the pleats down by machine and then machine sewed the pleats to the skirt I also sewed on a piece of lace to try and hide the hemmed edge of the pleats, this is so it will look nicer if it was to ever accidentally flip up….yes I know I’m crazy….Tea dying :) 


yum, look at all that tea!



pinning all my pleats down, yes they are all the same size.

sewing them together and adding the lace edge.



All that work and this is all you can see when the skirt is laying down correctly. Don't worry that horrible stitch line that you can see will be covered by more decoration. 


No comments:

Post a Comment