Wednesday 30 April 2014

A bird and a hat

Been working on creating my hat and the bird that will be decoration for my hat. The bird is made out of a Styrofoam base, then I have glued a combination of chicken feathers (that my mom sent me from our farm in California), and pheasant feathers (that I received from my friend who's father hunts).  It was quite different from what I usually do, so it was really fun to play about, I learned quite a lot.  




Here you can see that I have blocked both my hat and hat brim and stitched them together, I then have wired the brim. next I'll be putting millinery petershim on the inside crown of the hat. I still need to prepare the ribbon that will go on the outside as well, this will be silk duchess satin cut on the bias so as it can then bend with the shape of the hat. Then the bird will be mounted and I may add a bow or two just for the fun of it. There has been discussion as to wether or not the hat has fabric on the underside of the brim, I will need to discuss it further with my tutors and do some experimenting to see if that is the direction that I want to go. 



No comments:

Post a Comment