Monday 16 December 2013

Boots

I found my boot!!!!! So excited! Charity shop £15!...but there're brown so now I get to learn to dye leather black.

Here's one method I found from http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1352

After reading about some problems some folks were having dyeing leather black I thought I would share an effective method  that you can make yourself and after dyeing it will not come out when wet . I have always hated dyeing anything black because it was so messy and this is simple and easy and I don't even mind occasionally dying a belt black for a friend anymore. This was told to me by an old saddlemaker who said many of the old black parade saddles were dyed in this manner. After trying it, I can believe it.
Ingredients:
                vinegar, rusty metal....really...read on

I went to Walmart and bought a half gallon of white vineger, about a buck and a half. Went home, took the cap off and I had a bag full of rusty #3 nails and put rusty nails in that half gallon jug til the liquid came to the top. Then just put the cap back on. I tried it after about 3 days but it wasn't quite ready.After a week it was pretty good and after that it just gets stronger. Just as a side note, anything rusty will work, my brother put an old chain saw blade in his. It kinda takes on the appearance of a nasty tea. What I have done is just take a large kitchen bowl, put it in the sink, and pour in the solution. Then just take the belt and stick in one end and run it through, usually a couple of times, sometimes three.
You might think, oh man, this is ugly...ugly as a yellow yard dog...Actually I had a yellow yard dog that was quite handsome. Let's go with...ugly, ugly as an empty glass of buttermilk... cause it won't be purdy.
It will be kind of dark greyish brownish...Let it dry.. Then apply oil...It will turn the prettiest shade of black...black as the ace of spades and you can't rub the black out on your fingers. You'll really think that was way too easy! 
I eventually took the nails out of my mix 'cause it kind of keeps digesting the nails, but I've had this mixed up for at least 9 months and it still seems as effective as ever. This is for veg. tan leather, like skirting so a holster maker could completely make a holster, then dip it in this solution with no problem.
The vinegar smell doesn't stay in the leather after a few days and I have had no problems applying a finish. I usually use Tan-Kote, but have applied Neat-Lac also, no problem.
Another thing I found was the leather dyed black all the way through and it did not affect the color of my thread at all, I use poly thread. I'm sure it would not affect nylon, I don't know about linen.
I recommend you mix up a batch, try it on some scrap first before a finished item. I really have had excellent success with this method. The items I have dyed black turned out really beautiful, and I don't mind dyeing anything black anymore.
Happy dyeing...not dieing..dyeing 


Unfortunately I don't have any rusty metal laying around, so I'm going to look into other methods as well.

http://thedreamstress.com/2013/09/tutorial-how-to-dye-leather-shoes-handbags/

Here's a link to the method I think I'll be doing,

the article talks about how you can dye any leather shoes any colour (PERFECT!), because you're not actually dying your leather, you're staining it.

So I've order some "stain" and will wait till I can continue and try this method. Excited to learn how to do this! More on dying my boots once the dye arrives :)

No comments:

Post a Comment