Saturday 22 February 2014

Hat Notes

Had a chat with our new Hat Tutor about my hat and here are some notes

We've decided it's a straw hat so I'll be looking into getting a natural straw Caplin possibly from Milliners Warehouse in Victoria or Baxter, Hart and Abraham. My Tutor is saying it should be no more than £15, but I've heard it's actually £20 or more from some of my fellow Uni students.

I'll need to block it out on a dome crown, I'll be using the biggest one we have and then possibly covering it with a couple beanies to then make it larger. There is also a possibility that I'll need to sew wire into the brim.



It was common in this time to decorate hats with taxidermy birds. Often times to make the birds seem more exotic they would add extra wings and feathers from other birds, and/or die the feathers different colours. 
 For my hat we have decided it has a bird on it, and we've talked about a few different ways of making a birds, I also have a friend who has some bird parts that she's sending me (as her father lives in the country and is one for pheasant hunting). I also have some chicken feathers from back home that i can use. 

The method that my Tutor suggested was,
- to make the bird body and head out of air dry model magic, possibly embedding wire into it to make it easier to attache it to the hat, as well as to attach thing to it.
-the beak can be made out of a quill 
-wings can be cut out of buckram then covered in wadding then a layer of calico perhaps to that then the feathers can be glued onto it
-when gluing on the feathers they should meet at the neck   

No comments:

Post a Comment